Family owned & Operated
With farms located in Florida & Kentucky we are able to supply year round fresh product.
100% Grown in the USA
We take pride in our farming experience to bring you top quality product!
M&R Farms takes pride in its food safety standards and has received superior ratings for all farm safety programs.
Good Agricultural Practice training is given to all employees. It is important to us that our customers have confidence that they will receive a safe, healthy, premium quality product backed by our satisfaction guarantee.
Health Benefits of Watercress
- Watercress is a cruciferous vegetable and population studies associate an increased intake of cruciferous vegetables with reduced risk of cancers at several sites.
- Daily consumption of watercress resulted in a significant decrease in lymphocyte (white blood cell) DNA damage. DNA damage is an important event in cancer development.
- Watercress is a rich source of the glucosinolate derivatives phenylethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) and methysulphinylakyl isothiocyanates (MEITCs), which show a range of anti-cancer activities.
- Beneficial effects on the three key stages of carcinogenesis (initiation, proliferation and metastasis) were observed in a study involving watercress extract and colon cancer cells.
- When smokers ate watercress with each meal for 3 days, the activation of key carcinogen (cancer causing agent) in tobacco was inhibited.
- An in vitro study involving breast cancer cells found that the addition of a watercress extract inhibited their invasive potential.
- A study investigating the effects of a diet supplemented with PEITC in mice grafted with human prostate tumours resulted in a 50% reduction in tumour weight.
- Watercress is a good source of key nutrients and carotenoids, such as lutein and beta-carotene, associated with the maintenance of eye and skin health. Daily consumption of watercress increased plasma lutein levels by 100% and beta-carotene levels by 33%.
- Daily watercress consumption has been shown to decrease plasma triglyceride levels by about 10%.